21Monmouthshire County Council appointed GWP to design and deliver the provision of a dedicated Hub & Library service at Abergavenny Town & Market Hall. This is a Grade II listed building currently comprising the Town Hall, Theatre and Indoor Market Hall.
Improvements are to include:
• Provision of a new Passenger Lift to provide public wheelchair access to all floor levels.
• Internal remodelling to the ground and first floor levels.
• Secondary glazing to improve the thermal efficiency of existing windows.
• New Hub/Library Extension to the first floor.
• New energy efficient heating and lighting to the ground and first floor.
A new ‘extension’ will make an imposing modern statement as it projects over the Grade II listed Market Hall space, located on slim columns. The external shell of the extension is clad with a coloured GRP which is curved to create an eye catching backdrop to the Victorian interior of the Market Hall. A large glazed screen faces directly into the hall with sliding doors and glazed balustrading to create a transparent lightbox that transforms the interior of the Market Hall and provides the opportunity for alternative use of the space with movable furniture provision.
Works will commence on site early 2019