GWP designed and successfully delivered the Regeneration of a 1938-39 grade II listed building known as Austin House into a new Design & Art Facility for The University of Worcester. The former ‘Art Deco’ style Car Showroom & Garage was converted to provide the following improvements:
Redefined car parking area to provide 17nr parking bays including 4nr accessible bays and a Bicycle parking area for 30nr bicycles.
Refuse/Recycling area, Plant beds and soft planting.
Forming new level access to main entrance and exits.
Extensive making good of existing external brick & stonework.
Making good existing metal framed ‘Art Deco’ windows.
New composite insulated metal roof cladding and insulated flat roofing with double glazed roof lights.
New aluminium double glazed shop front windows & doors.
New main entrance canopy.
New curved concrete wall & railings to front elevation.
CCTV and other site security measures.
Internal remodelling & Improvements:
Internal remodelling to form Art & Design Learning Studio’s, Meeting Rooms, Breakout Spaces, Tea Room, Offices and Toilet Area.
A new circular feature ramp to provide wheelchair access to the upper level within the main Learning space.
Infill extension to provide Exhibition Space to front elevation.
Infill extension to form Fire Escape & Storage to side elevation.
New energy efficient heating and lighting to all areas.
First floor mechanical & electrical plant rooms, including new acoustic plant enclosure on rooftop.
Client: The University of Worcester